Be a Professional RYA Watersports Instructor in just 6 WEEKS
What is the RYA?
The Royal Yachting Association (RYA) is the UK governing body for sailing and windsurfing. The RYA is recognised internationally as the leading authority on sailing and windsurfing instruction. This means that becoming an RYA Instructor really does open up a whole world of opportunity to you. Watersports companies all over the globe are aware that a qualified RYA instructor must comply to high standards of safety and must have an exceptional dedication to their pupils progression in watersports.
Once qualified, in addition to the support you will receive from the RYA, all Academy members will also gain ongoing support from Seafarer to increase your teaching experience, improve your personal skills and in time gain further instructor qualifications. The lines of communication between our Academy Team and our Academy Members always remain open to help you make the most out of your watersports career – whether you are just enjoying a gap year break or you are looking for a long term career, our friendly and professional Academy Team will happily support you on your journey.
What is an Instructor Training Course?
A Seafarer Academy Instructor Course is a fast track way to become an RYA Dinghy or Windsurf Instructor. First concentrating on learning to sail or windsurf it then moves into learning to become and instructor with work experience along the way.
What is an RYA Assistant Instructor Qualification?
Before starting work experience we offer RYA Assistant Instructor Qualification about halfway through the course. This allows you to assist with sessions while following the RYA Dinghy or Windsurf scheme along with preparing you for the Instructor Course to come.
Who Can Apply ?
Our fast-track Sailing and Windsurf Instructor courses are designed for ambitious, energetic and enthusiastic people of all ages and all abilities. The only prerequisites to joining one of our Instructor training course, are a moderate swimming ability and a passion to learn new skills. (Please note our minimum age to travel to Greece unaccompanied by parent or guardian is 16. All under 18’s require written parental consent.) For those hoping to do shorter courses a certain level of sailing or windsurfing ability is needed. Please give us a call to discuss.
What Qualifications & Skills Will I Gain?
The minimum course content for all students is listed below. The exact qualifications you gain will depend on your previous experience. All candidates will be able to ask for additional tuition to hone skills of their individual choice based on their personal preferences and their previous ability. Please note that no previous experience of sailing or windsurfing is needed.
- RYA Level 1 Start Sailing
- RYA Level 2 Basic Skills
- RYA Level 3 Better Sailing
- RYA Seamanship Skills
- RYA Sailing with Spinnakers
- RYA Assistant Dinghy Instructor
- RYA Dinghy Instructor
- RYA Start Windsurfing
- RYA Intermediate Non-Planing
- RYA Non Planing Carve Gybe Clinic
- RYA Beach Start Clinic
- RYA Start Windsurf Instructor
All candidates will gain
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA First Aid
- Safe and Fun Safeguarding Module
- Yacht Based Theory Tuition in relevant topics
- Personal Coaching areas that need improvement
- Work Experience in active RYA Centre
- Professional Use of VHF Radios
- Careers Advice & Employment Opportunities
The course aims to ensure a 100% pass rate for all Academy Members, however please note that if your instructor skills are not quite strong enough at the time of moderation then you will receive an RYA Action Plan. The Action Plan is issued with specific goals for you to achieve in order to finalise your instructor qualification. The Action Plan is designed to help build your confidence and to regulate standards within the RYA system. It is created as a support for trainee instructors and should be viewed as an aid not as a critique or a fail. If an Action Plan is issued then the Academy Team will always support you in achieving your goals and becoming qualified. However in such cases that an Action Plan is issued due to a lack of effort, attendance or commitment to your training then any further assistance will be at the discretion of the Academy Team.
What is Included in the Price?
Return flights, Transfers to/from hotel, Accommodation (shared twin with en suite facilities), Breakfast, Lunch, Unlimited Equipment Use, All Required Safety Equipment, Sailing or Windsurf Instructor Training, Instructor Assessment, RYA Logbooks, RYA Certification, First Aid Manual.
Do I have to be an RYA Member?
All RYA Instructors must be RYA members. Therefore before embarking on your instructor course in Greece please ensure that you join the RYA. This is between £20 – £50 a year ( depending on age ) and holds many benefits for you once you are qualified. RYA Membership is not included in the price of your course. Follow this link for more details:
What is the Pre-course Instructor Pack?
Once you have decided to join the Seafarer Academy and have paid your £590 deposit you will receive your Pre-Course Instructor Pack.. The Instructor Pack includes all you need to know before you head to Greece.
Contents includes: Welcome Letter, What to Pack List, Work Experience Request Form, Employment Request Form, Flight Information, Accommodation Details, How to Apply for Funding/Grants Information, Invite to Members Facebook Page
How do I Book?
You can reserve your space on the Seafarer Academy with a £95 Initial Deposit followed by the remainder of the £595 deposit within 2 weeks of booking. We can then arrange a payment plan which spreads the payments over a number of months leading up to the course.
To book and secure a space call fill out the form below, call 0208 324 3118 or email [email protected]
How To Apply For Grants?
There are in fact a large number of organisations that offer financial assistance to a variety of causes. Regardless of your social circumstance or income everyone is eligible to apply for grants at various charities and trusts. Of course getting a Grant does require some time and effort. You will have to search the internet and apply to a large number of organisations. Typically grants for individuals can range from £50 – £2,500.
- STEP 1) Type into your search engine key phrases such as:Vocational Training Grants
Funding for Personal Development
Grants for Outdoor Education Training
- STEP 2) You will find many useful websites such as the below:
- STEP 3) Your local library, often overlooked these days, will be a great source of information. The library clerks should be able to point you in the direction of a Local and/or National Guide listing trusts and charitable foundations. National ones to look out for include:
- The Educational Grants Directory
- The Grants Register
- A Guide to Grants for Individuals in Need
- The Youth Funding Guide
- Directory of Grant Making Trusts
- STEP 4) Be prepared to commit time to this process. Apply to as many places as possible, by phone, letter or email. Remember you may have to work hard to receive a grant, but it really is possible to gain valuable financial assistance to help you complete your ambition of becoming a professional watersports instructor. An example of some key phrases and text to use when applying for grants:
- The Seafarer Academy provides Vocational Training for the outdoor industry.
- The Seafarer Academy teaches all the necessary skills to become a professional RYA Watersports Instructor, responsible for the safety and skills development of watersports novices.
- The valuable instructor skills learnt at the Seafarer Academy are directly transferable to many other job roles in life, in particular within the formal education system.
- The use of Outdoor Education, such as the Seafarer Academy delivers, is proven to be an excellent tool for personal development.
- Among other things Outdoor Training teaches strong team building skills, it encourages acceptance of responsibility and it intrinsically improves communication abilities. All of which are key life skills.
How Can I Find Out More and Ask More Questions?
- Watch our video www.seafarersailing.co.uk
- Visit our facebook page www.facebook.com/SeafarerAcademy
- Visit our website www.seafarersailing.co.uk
- AND please feel free to email [email protected] with any questions
Sailing Instructor Courses
Our fast-track Dinghy and Windsurf Instructor courses are designed for ambitious, energetic and enthusiastic people of all ages and all abilities who want the best introduction to the industry. The only prerequisites to joining one of our Professional Instructor Training Courses are a moderate swimming ability and a passion to learn new skills, although we also offer 4 and 2 week options for those with previous sailing or windsurfing experience.
Our Instructor Training Courses teach you all the skills needed to become a confident and professional instructor in Sailing or Windsurfing and all include an element of work experience in an active RYA Training Centre to gain the skills that only working can give. The course will teach all the required skills to be an RYA Instructor including Learning to Sail in a large variety of boats, Powerboat Driving, First Aid and all the background knowledge needed for one of the best jobs in the world.
The warm waters and consistent winds in our Academy Base on the Greek Island of Lefkas mean that we can maximise time on the water and our instructors will always aim to pass on their love of Sailing and Windsurfing at all times. Nikiana Beach Club is a busy RYA Training Centre with a varied fleet of 30 Sailing Dinghies, a great range of Windsurf Sails and Boards and a Club Yacht for instruction in some of the more theory based parts of the course.
By providing plenty of time on the water and encompassing both work experience and ongoing RYA Centre Experience we provide you with the skills you need to thrive in an RYA Training Centre. We provide guaranteed roles in our Beach Clubs for the remainder of the season for candidates who shine on the course (a role the following season for late season courses). For all other candidates we make use of our extensive industry contacts to help secure roles both in the UK and Overseas. Having completed the course with Seafarer Academy you’ll already have the knowledge and experience of a busy Centre, something other courses can’t offer.
However you choose to utilise your newly gained instructor qualification we are here to help make it happen. We recognise that gaining your qualification is just the first part of the adventure, so we will always remain on hand to help you enjoy the rest of it!
Weeks 1 & 2
These two weeks will be intense, with a lot of on-water time and professional coaching in order to fine tune your skills.
|2018 Course Dates||Course||Price||Early Booking Price|
|May 6th - June 17th||Dinghy Academy||£2995||£2495|
|June 3rd - July 15th||Windsurf Academy||£2995||£2495|
|Aug 26th - Oct 7th||Dinghy Academy||£2995||£2495|