All our online theory courses are delivered by Navathome, an RYA Recognised Training Centre specialising in online training.
This option gives you total control of your study time and place and your rate of progress. Given that when you study is entirely up to you, it is dependent on some self discipline to ensure that you work systematically towards completing your chosen qualification. You will be supported by a fully qualified and experienced Navathome instructor who can assist and clarify on issues and questions that may arise. Recommended on line study time is 50 hours, plus some time allowed for revision and practice.
Whilst no previous experience is necessary for this course, we would recommend practical sailing experience, either dinghy or yacht experience, ideally to Competent Crew level or equivalent.
The online course takes approximately 40 to 45 hours, given that everyone learns at their own pace. There is an initial 6 months time limit to complete the course with a further 6 month extension available at a cost of an additional £30 fee.
- Access to the online course for a period of 6 months
- A course pack including a chart, Breton plotter, dividers, course handbook, exercises and an electronic chart plotter simulator download. Please read the shipping information prior to booking.
- Email support from one of Navathome’s instructors.
- RYA certification issued by Navathome upon successful completion of the course, namely the RYA Day Skipper Shorebased certificate.
- The basics of seamanship
- The essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- Electronic charts
- Position fixing
- Plotting a course to steer
- Weather forecasting and meteorology
- Collision regulations
- Construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- Emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts